The academic programs of study at Washington University in St. Louis are administered by seven schools: Arts & Sciences, the John M. Olin School of Business, the Sam Fox School of Design & Visual Arts, School of Engineering & Applied Science, School of Law, School of Medicine and Brown School. Within the schools are various divisions of undergraduate and graduate study.
The “day school” divisions at WashU represent traditional full-time programs. Evening and part-time divisions are offered in the schools of Arts & Sciences (the University College), Olin Business School, Sam Fox School and Engineering & Applied Science. Enrollment and statistical reporting at the university typically reflects these divisions.
The Office of the University Registrar prepares enrollment statistics for Washington University in St. Louis at the end of the 4th and 10th week of the fall and spring semesters.
Spring 2016 Total Enrollment: 14,212
- Day school divisions: 12,650
- Evening and part-time divisions: 1,562
- Degree-seeking enrollment: 12,256 full-time and 1,328 part-time students
- 6,661 undergraduates enrolled in day school divisions
- 698 undergraduates enrolled in evening and part-time programs
- 5,989 graduate and professional students enrolled in day school divisions
- 864 graduate and professional students enrolled in evening and part-time programs
Graduation & Degrees
Washington University in St. Louis awards degrees three times a year, at the close of the spring, summer and fall semesters. The Commencement program printed each May includes the names of degree recipients who graduated that spring as well as those who graduated the prior fall and summer.
- WashU awarded a total of 4,266 degrees in 2015-16
- Graduate and professional degrees: 2,500
- Undergraduate degrees: 1,766
Undergraduate Retention & Graduation Rates
- Among full-time first-time undergraduate students seeking a bachelor’s degree, 97% are retained from the freshman to the sophomore year.
- Our Graduation Rate for students pursuing Bachelor’s degrees is 94%.