Your name appears on Washington University in St. Louis records, communications and official documents. Some documents, including transcripts issued by Washington University, are official documents that should bear a student’s legal name. Students and alumni who have changed their names or need to correct Social Security numbers on their records will need to provide the Office of the University Registrar with legal supporting documentation.

Preferred Name

Washington University recognizes that many students prefer to use names other than their legal ones to identify themselves. Any student on the Danforth Campus may choose to identify a preferred first name in addition to their official name of record. Students can add or change their preferred name on WebSTAC.

Required Documentation for Legal Name Changes

Documentation is required for a legal name change in a student’s record.  Please provide one of the following:

  • Current driver’s license
  • Social Security card
  • Passport
  • Divorce decree
  • Court order

Required Documentation for SSN Changes

A change or correction to the Social Security number on a student’s record requires a copy of the student’s Social Security card.

Providing Documents to the Registrar

We recommend documents be submitted to the office using Box or OneDrive (accessible by all current Washington University students, faculty and staff and FERPA-compliant).* Please contact Kelly Bullard for details. If you are unable to use these options, contact Kelly Bullard to identify an alternate secure method of sharing documents. Do not submit documents via email.

When sharing your required documents please make to include the following: students – name currently on your student record and your student ID; faculty and staff – name listed on your HRMS record and employee ID; former WU students, faculty, and staff – name on your record when you were current at WU.

All changes will be completed within two business days.

*Helpful websites:

Box User’s Guide

OneDrive User’s Guide

Overview of other file-sharing options

Attention Current Students

Once your name change has been completed, please visit Campus Card Services to get a new student ID card.